Here is some fun #ChocolateyGoodness to help you beat that cold/flu with your next cup of Hot Choco Primo-Cayenne Elixir!
Healthy Hot Chocolate anyone!
In more often cases that not, the most significant aspect of our forecast calendar every mid year is marked by a chilly and wet season. And as you may have it, a typical ‘cold” or ‘flu’ is somewhat a popular case among many during this time not to mention the need to find various ways to curb the cold weather.
From dressing warmly to keep close a thermos of some either form of hot beverage, or the popular traditional medicative and preventing methods of beating a common cold/flu, the entire experience can as well be less tedious or alarming as it many a times seems to be.
Take for example, a typical hot cup of choco/cocoa…
Cayenne and chocolate are what one would call a showstopper hot elixir; an amazingly warming and delicious combo that will give you the health benefits you need especially at this time of the year when the weather gets somewhat chilly, as well as the decadent taste.
A regular HotCupof Chocolate may not necessarily offer the right kind of remedy to help in fighting a common cold or preventing one, despite the fact that it also offers other healthy and nutritional values, however… a little “spicing up” of the same with some cayenne pepper can go a long way to not only offer an actual solution for that cold/flu but also a new experience in your regular every day cup of Choco primo.
Cacao & Its Healthy Benefits!
What is cacao? Simply put, this is the unrefined version of cocoa! So it’s basically raw chocolate that contains tons of minerals and phytonutrients.
Cacao is considered a ‘Superfruit’ and functional food because of its high antioxidant content, anti-inflammatory effect and Methylxanthine Reward which enhances mood and concentration levels. It is also known to increase beneficial gut microbes while decreasing the bad guys.³
Cayenne on the other hand bares its own kinda magic too…
Cayenne is an amazing food and is mild enough to be eaten at every meal, but might be powerful enough to stop a heart attack. It has been shown to relieve a variety of ailments including heartburn, delirium, flatulence, nausea, gout, fever, dyspepsia, irritation, influenza etc.
Cayenne is a warming spice and is known as anti-inflammatory along with other health benefits like decreasing congestion, increasing circulation, relieving headaches, etc.
Here is how to make yourself some Hot Choco Primo Cayenne Elixir!
- 1 cup Water, filtered
- 3 or 4 blocks of Organic/Dark Chocolate bar ( shaved or grated)
- 1 heaping tablespoon Choco/Cocoa Primo powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3 Cardamom pods
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 2 oz Milk almond or coconut
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almonds (chopped or shaved)
- 4-8 dried cranberries or strawberries (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon Coconut shavings
- Heat water just before it boils, keep it on medium heat. It’s best not to bring to a boil during preparation to ensure you don’t burn the cacao and spices.
- Add mylk, cayenne, cinnamon, cardamon pods and salt, blend with spoon.
- Add Chocolate & Choco primo powder as prepared.
- Use a spoon and stir elixir until the entire chocolate portion has melted.
- Let simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Optional step: strain elixir into a heat sensitive high speed blender and blend for 5-10 secs. Straining ensures you’re not blending up the cardamom pods.
- Add elixir to your favourite mug and top with almonds, dried cranberries or strawberries and coconut shavings.